Friday, January 20, 2012

Gymming

On Saturday I joined the gym, as planned! I took a tour of ICC and was impressed with how much stuff they had (and they have saunas, which is a nice touch.) On Tuesday night I checked out the nearest gym, in Meyrin, but was less impressed. They have less stuff there, and it's older, but they do have yoga classes. So it looks like I'll be going to ICC for most of my gym needs.

I'm currently speaking to Anna on IM and she's giving me all kinds of advice about how to get started:

Go to the gym 2-3 times a week (I'm aiming for 3, and will probably have to build e a schedule for it.)

Start with 10-15 minutes of cardio (running, bike, rowing) and vary it from one session to another.

Diet should include plenty of protein (eggs, meat, fish) and calorie intake can be taken from Calorie Calculator.

Find what's comfortable at 10 reps, then increase the weight and try 8 reps. (This should keep the sets nice and short!)

Vary the routines with a different muscle group each visit.

She's going to send me some more information via E-mail with links to forums and messageboards

I'm also on Skype chat with Ed and he has quite a lot of experience with the gym. I've asked him for some more specific help with individual exercises, and he's given me that kind of advice in the past.

Ed says:

So, for a 1 hour gym session, I would do:
5 minute warm up on a treadmill, from walking pace up to a "brisk" jog

15 mins of weights, try to use the freeweights (i.e. not machines, aside from leg weight work) and start slow, probably at 10Kg, and do say 8 reps until you feel comfortable to increase the reps, and gradually use higher weights. Specifically, Google these: dumbbell flys, chest presses (be careful, don't go mad on the weight) and dumbbell pullovers

20 mins of cardio, maybe half on a rower at a moderate resistance, and then a bit of treadmill. try to keep away from the "skiing" machines, they're a waste of time

15 mins of leg work on machines, leg presses, squats, leg abduction/adduction. again, don't go mad. ab/adduction hurts!

5 min cool down jog on treadmill.

Look at http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html for a list of everything, but just make sure you know roughly what you're doing. Don't be put off by others

No comments:

Post a Comment